Humantay Lake Day Trip Full Day
One Day Trek to Humantay Lake
The Humantay Lake is formed as a product of the thawing of a great snow-covered mountain that in turn is part of a mountain chain called the Vilcabamba mountain range.
Lake Humantay is a beautiful glacial lake at about 14,000 ft elevation, with turquoise colored water and amazing views of surrounding mountains reflecting like a mirror the scenery around it. It is truly an amazing place. It is roughly a 3 hour drive from Cusco and the last 30 minutes are up a very windy road full of switchbacks.
This trip is highly recomended to anyone looking for a one day hike while in Cusco (a 12 hour trip). You can either take it slow or pay a local for a ride on a horse almost to the top. It takes 2 hours to climb, at a slow pace. The lake is breathtaking, many visitors lounge on the boulders and pose for photos.
Our tour of the Humantay Lagoon can start in Cusco or if you are in the Sacred Valley. We can pick you up from your hotel in Urubamba or Ollantaytambo on the day of the tour. For more information about this option, please contact one of our travel specialists or you can follow the link for a tailor made tour.
If you want to go to Humantay Lake on your own we recommend you read our article where you will find some important facts to take into account.
The full day trip to Humantay lake is ideal for nature lovers and ecotourism. During the tour we will be able to observe the exotic flora and fauna and appreciate the impressive snow-capped peaks of Humantay and Salkantay.
What if I can’t do it?
Before you give up, horses are available at the beginning of the hike. We recommend hiring a horse directly from the locals. Although we suggest the horse ride only for the way up. This will help you save energy and prevent altitude sickness from hitting you too hard so you will be able to better enjoy the experience
We also offer a horseback riding to Humantay lake for more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We recommend making your reservation for the Laguna Humantay full day tour in advance so we can take the time to organize your tour properly.
We start the tour as early as possible so that we guarantee the best photos and we take the time to explore the place and enjoy the landscape, if you have any questions for an instant reply contact us via Whatsapp +51 969760991.
Itinerary of Humantay Lake Hike (Private Service)
We will be picking you up at 03:30 in the morning to be able to take you on a trip of around 3 hours to the village of Mollepata (2,900 masl / 9,515 ft) where we will have a delicious breakfast and recover energy to go to Soraypampa (3,850 masl / 12,631 ft). From this point, we will start the trek to Humantay Lake If you wish, you can rent horses offered by the inhabitants of the area.
During the ascent, we will have the opportunity to observe the diverse flora and fauna. We can observe some native birds of the area, as well as to get great views of the Andean landscape. Once arrived in the area, Once we reach our goal, we will be delighted with the spectacular views of the Humantay Lagoon (4,200 masl / 13 779 feet) and its turquoise waters where you can take spectacular photographs.
After having relaxed, we will descend down to Soraypampa base where our transport will be waiting for us to take us to Mollepata. Arriving here, we will eat lunch in a local restaurant, and then we will return back to Cusco and leave you at your hotel.
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco or from the Sacred Valley.
- Mountain guide (english and spanish).
- Private transport from Cusco to Soraypampa base (beginning of the trek)
- Breakfast, Snacks, Lunch .
- Entrance Ticket to the Humantay Lake.
- First aid kit equipment.
- Transportation back to Cusco.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Tips for your crew
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip
- Hotel in Cusco.
- Other services not mentioned.
- 03:30 – 04:00 Pick-Up time
- 04:00 – 06:30 From Cusco to Mollepata by bus.
- 06:30 – 07:00 Breakfast in Mollepata.
- 07:00 – 08:00 From Mollepata to Soraypampa.
- 08:00 Hiking to Humantay lake.
- 9:30 – 11:30 Time in the Humantay lake.
- 11:30 – 12:00 Return to base camp (Soraypampa).
- 12:00 – 01:00 Lunch.
- 16:00 – 17:00 Return to Cusco
- Meals: continental breakfast / aperitifs / fresh lunch
- Distance: 7 km / 4.35 Miles.
- Minimum altitude: 2.900 masl / 9.515 feet
- Maximum altitude: 4,200 masl / 13,779 ft
- Difficulty: Moderate.
- Duration: 12 hours Departure: Cusco (03:30 a.m.)
- Return: Cusco (04:30 p.m.)
- This route is ideal for nature lovers who do not have many days.
- You will find spectacular landscapes, with exotic flora and fauna along the way.
- You will enjoy the adventure through beautiful valleys and white mountains.
- Humantay Lagoon is considered one of the most sacred mountains and lagoons in the region.
Advantages of booking with us.- The all-inclusive tour to HUMANTAY LAKE TOUR offers a safe and well-organized experience, transfer during the entire tour is in sprinter. The service also includes the tour guide service in English or Spanish.
EXCLUSIVE SERVICE COSTS: We operate this tour without joining other tourists from other agencies. We only serve our tourists. We know that traveling to Humantay Lake demands time and money and that is why we want your experience of visiting Humantay lake Tour to exceed your expectations.
WHAT YOU NEED TO TAKE:
- Original Passport
- Hiking Boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Warm jacket
- Hat and gloves
- T-shirts (quick dry)
- Comfortable Trekking Pants
- Sun hat
- Sunscreen (SPF 35+)
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Flashlite with spare batteries (or a environmental friendly option)
- To acclimatize, with anticipation, to the climate of the city of the city of Cusco.
- To enjoy good health and to be in good physical conditions.
- Wear light clothing suitable for hiking: trekking boots (water resistant), long pants and polo shirt, wide-brimmed hat and coat.
- Bring sun block, insect repellent, raincoat and trekking sticks.
- Have cash (in soles) if you are going to make a purchase or transaction.
- Visit the lagoon in the morning to avoid repelling its exotic fauna.
- Finally, if you are looking for an exclusive trip to Humantay you can also consider our Humantay Lagoon tour as your travel option.
Location of the Humantay Lagoon
The Humantay turquoise lagoon is located on the slopes of the Humantay snow-capped mountain, northwest of the city of Cusco, in the community of Soraypampa, district of Mollepata, province of Anta, Cusco region, in Peru.
- Altitude: 4200 masl (13,780 feet).
- Coordinates: Latitude south: 13°24’41.72″ and Longitude west: 72°37’2.43″.
- Length: 618 meters long and 164 meters wide (approximately).
Climate and Temperature
The climate of Humantay Lagoon is generally temperate during the days of the dry season (April to November); frigid during the night and early morning hours; and rainy and cloudy skies during the rainy season (December to March).
And the temperature in and around Humantay Lagoon normally ranges between 4° C° and 17° C°.
Distance from Cusco to Humantay Lagoon
The distance between the city of Cusco and the Humantay Lagoon is 123 km and is divided as follows:
- Asphalted road between Cusco and Mollepata: 98.5 km
- Motorized trail between Mollepata and Soraypampa: 22 km
- Road between Soraypampa and Humantay Lagoon: 2.5 km
Difficulty of walking to Humantay
- The difficulty and level of exigency of the walk to the Humantay lagoon is: average – moderate.
- The path first climbs a steep slope, then meanders along a rocky slope, and finally descends to a small creek through which the calm and cold waters flow, born only a few meters from the Humantay Lagoon.
- Apart from the stones of the road, the cold and the altitude, the walk is relatively easy, and does not take more than 40 minutes, on average.
Coloration of the Humantay Lake
The turquoise waters of the Humantay Lagoon owe their magical colour to the crystalline waters of the snow melt and to the microalgae of the species Microcystis aeruginosa and Oscillatoria.
However, this impressive coloration is very vulnerable to human action. The unauthorized entry of some travelers into the interior of the lagoon has caused the shores to change from turquoise to grey. For this reason, it is forbidden to enter the lagoon.
What is the weather and the temperature like at Humantay Lake?
The average annual temperature is between 3 and 14 °C.
The weather at Humantay lake varies significantly, from December to February it is pretty cloudy, and sometimes the rainfall is quite heavy. On the other hand. During the dry season from March to November, at nights are cold and during the days are both sunny and warm. In June and July, it sometimes snows-
What is the highest poitn of the Trek?
- Height: 4200 masl (13,780 ft.).
- Co-ordinates: 13°24’41.72” South Latitude: and 72°37’2.43” East Longitude.
- Extension of Humantay Lagoon: 618 meters long and 164 meters wide (approximately).
What’s distance from Cusco to Humantay lake?
The distance between Cusco and Humantay Lake is 123 km
What’s the difficulty Level of the Humantay Lake Hike
The level of difficulty for this hike is rated as moderate.
How Did Humantay Lake Get its Color?
The lake is runoff from the big glacier mountain that you see above the wáter, the minerals within the glacier are released into the water as it melts.
Can i be picked up from the Sacred Valley?
Yes! We pick you up from anywhere (this is a private tour) just you need to pay $30.00 extra for the pick-up
WE RUN THIS TOUR ONLY AS A PRIVATE TOUR
- USD 135.00 per person for a group of 2 people
If you wish to be picked up from your hotel in Urubamba you need to additionally add $20 per person for the pick-up
“No Paypal fees with Come See Perú Tours”
To secure a booking with Come See Perú Tours, the Client must deposit 40% of the entire price of the tour. You will receive a confirmation email for the tour that you made a deposit. The total balance must be paid in cash at your hotel before the start of your trip.